Saturday, October 4, 2008

Mathematics


Just saying the word ‘mathematics’ to people brings forth a multitude of reactions. In many cases, it’s memories of the emotional trauma caused by high school algebra and trigonometry which produces jolt instantly. Those born with the natural talent of using their right side of the brain, a talent for the subject, remember it as the easy part of university entrance exams. Among these, are the rare few who find themselves seduced by the beauty of the subject. To them, mathematics is a language which helps unfold complex predicaments. One of these people is Amandla Ndlovu who beams when greeted. A huge smile spreads across his face and his eyes twinkle. It quickly becomes clear that he has another talent, connecting with people.
The first year BComm student describes in detail that these problems they solve might be exceptionally difficult, but nothing beats the feeling you get when finding an answer says Amandla. It becomes clear that maths is not just a subject to him; it seems to correspond to real life situations and other disciplines of education like physics. And as much as he enjoys unearthing math course work, mathematics has helped find solutions in his life.

Amndla lost his father mid-April this year, putting his family is serious financial turmoil. The 19 year old was faced with two consequential options. Continue to study and bare wrecking thoughts of his family waking up to isonka sombakho (steam bread) and reused teabag tea for breakfast. Thoughts of his family sleeping on empty stomachs for most nights, because his house-wife mother had to settle his tuition fees and provide him with pocket money. ‘I had to drop out; it wasn’t an option to let my family suffer for me, I had planned to find a piece job, so that I could endow my widow mother and siblings.’
A dreading shame to have such talent wasted due to matters beyond his control, the unknown cause of death of his father.

It was whilst shopping for the cheaper branded toiletries, ‘no name’ that he overheard St Andrews matriculates complain about the difficulty of math and physics. It was then that Amandla got an idea, to find work and earn something. He ran to the Jacaranda Computer Labs, to print out his CV and type a brief motivation for why he thought he would make a great tutor. Missing his last lecture on that day, he went to the high school to drop off the requesting CV. ‘I didn’t mention my father’s death, or my family’s capital problems.’ Amandla felt he’d get the job solely on merit. It was a week later that he got a call from the high school, asking him to come for an interview. He signed a two year contract to tutor grade 11 and 12 math learners.

Earning R3 500 a month, Amandla is able to send money home and purchase tuck and toiletries for himself. ‘It is important to give attention to your interests, for you to desire, so that you can take action, to become bigger than you think you are,’ he says, with that broad smile that made me approach him. This life changing year is almost over for Amandla Ndlovu, but the lessons his learnt about life he says have made him a stronger, more capable individual. I’m a survivor’ he says, and instead of me thanking him for his time, he shakes my hand and thanks me for listening. ‘I’m hoping that other first year students will learn from my story.’

8 comments:

Ange said...

Wow... when reading the title of this blog entry "Mathematics", I thought gosh my worst nightmare. Never for one minute did I expect the post to be about a real nightmare faced by a fellow Rhodent.

It just goes to show how insensitive humans can be at times and this post really helped me to gain perspective on a few issues I was currently facing – one of which being homesick. It is one thing to be coping with being 1000kms away from home, daily missing your family and longing to be with them however it is another when you are faced with the turmoil of loosing a parent while experiencing what is meant to be the best year of your life.

This blog allows for sincerity and sympathy but achieves its purpose – we all have our own issues in life but there is always someone out there whose problems are ten times worse than your own. It broke my heart to read that this young man had to loose his father, the person on which his family depended, and now as young as he is has taken on the responsibility of finding a means to provide for his family.

I’m incredibly sorry about his loss as am I proud to say that his story has been heard! I’ve learnt an indescribable lesson through the strength of a young man unbeknown to myself. Thank you for restoring my appreciation for the things in life that I have, no matter how far or near they are, you have proven that it is possible to accomplish your own dreams irrespective of what life throws your way. RIP Mr. Ndlovu.

Andrea said...

Wow, what a moving interpretation of a first-year experience at Rhodes. I must admit when I read the title – “Mathematics”, memories of post-traumatic stress after Grade12 geometry flooded back and I wasn’t sure if I was going to read on. However, this profile really explores the inspiring story of a brave young student who overcame his very unfair situation. This ‘disruption’ that Amandla faced was enough to discourage any student from continuing their studies, and would have certainly placed some students in a state of serious depression. However by describing Amandla’s reaction and feelings to his father’s death and family’s financial situation in that amount of detail, it really shows the reader his true strength of character and can be compared to Propp’s description of the hero, who overcomes the disruption in his life. This profile helped me to realise that there are definitely bigger and more serious problems in first year other than subject choices and alcohol problems (both of which seem so trivial now). I just wish that other students have the opportunity to read a story as revealing as this.

Mooks said...

Uno, this profile is profoundly humbling. I was one of the lucky few to click with maths but after two weeks at varsity level I gave up. After reading Amandla’s story I am embarrassed to admit this. I gave up through sheer laziness but he stuck to his passion in spite of the disruption he faced. You capture Amandla’s stirring zeal and drive so effortlessly. The death of Amandla’s father is a disruption which would have crushed even the strongest of us. His ability to turn the devastating need to withdraw from university into a positive outcome makes him an admirable hero. He so aptly adheres to Propp’s definition of a hero as one who triumphs over a disruption and returns equilibrium to his life. Amandla’s enthusiasm and determination is captured gracefully and made me realise that my fears are trivial. So often we do not look beyond ourselves and I think it would be valuable for more people to be exposed to conquering students like Amandla.

nonnie said...

You never know how blessed you are until something tragic takes place in your life, people take for granted being at prestigious university like Rhodes and its until you read a story like this that one breaks out of dreamland.

Amandla's profile is a perfect example of what Rhodes’s motto, it is certainly a place where 'leaders learn', learning to think independently and pursing ones dreams.

Reflecting on my life, I have realized that I am selfish and take things for granted, I do not value being at a place like this and as I read Amandla's hardships, it makes one realize that life is too short.

Amandla has motivated me to get into study mode as exams approach, I now know what I want in my life and laziness is not going to get me anywhere.

Its time I make my family proud just like this young man (".) Thank you for giving me a wake up call and I wish you the best for the future Amandla.

nonnie said...

Amandla is truly a role model to young people out there, who simply feel sorry for themselves and expect the world to take pity on them. I am sorry to hear about his lost and Im glad it didnt cost him his future but with his attitude it seems like the future is looking bright for Amandla.

moving mountains said...

Mathematics, I think it’s a subject which does not really click with many people and I’m one of those people so reading this profile I ended up being motivated by the way Amandla got a chance to complete his degree because of maths
Uno I must say, you have describe Amandla very well by his passion of mathematics which clearly shows his character. The way you wrote the profile it includes Todorov’s narrative model from initial equilibrium to the disruption where Amandla was faced with hard situation until to the restoration of second equilibrium when he manages to overcome his problems. And also the profile portrays Amandla as a hero according to Propp’s narrative characters who had troubles in his first year when His father past away and with the help of a magical agent which is mathematics and overcomes his difficulties.
All I’m saying is that the profile is well written and understandable, and at the same time it’s inspiring
From Moving Mountains

Gcobani said...

What a profile Uno! It's not up until one reads profiles (and stories) like these that one realises the blessed and privileged lives we lead. I cannot begin to imagine the trauma and suffering that this young man had to endure because of the disruption that occurred in his life.

Russian scholar Todorov tells us that there are essentially three stages to every story: that is the equilibrium, the disruption of the equilibrium and the re-establishment of a new equilibrium. This profile is an articulate illustration of this theory. This young man's sense of normality was disrupted by the death of his father, but I admire how despite all the turbulence he was facing, he still managed to find opportunities and fight to restore equilibrium in his life and that of his family, even though Todorov warns that the new equilibrium/sense of normality can never really be the same as the first one.

Gcobani.

zamo-rose;) said...

I guess we all thought "oh my word Uno, do you have to take us back to such bleak memories of 'MATHEMATICS' nogal", but to our surprise we were not aware of whats installed in this profile article, just as muach as we are never aware of what life has installed for us.

Amandla like every other student probably had big dreams of the life to live after he gets his degree, probably work in a decent work place, earning more than enough to support himself, his birth family and the family he gives birth to (his own wife and children). Not knowing that the road that leads to that destination is accompanied by such a tearful experience of loosing someone, I would know. It was not part of his plan to support a family, his family now and in this way, but because life is such, he became a man and made a living whilst providing for his family.

But like ang said someone out theres problems are way bigger than your own, but as people I believe we are way bigger than our problems, Amandla is living proof. And believe only God knows what is installed for us, so lets not take what we have for granted because it can be taken away from us in a blink of an eye.
God is Love